Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Old Port Lobster Shack, Redwood City

After posting about the OPLS a couple of times (first here and then here), I decided it was time for Jon and me to actually check the place out for ourselves.

So last night, we went in search of the restaurant -- which I had been warned is difficult to find. And it was. We drove around a bit before spotting it; it's basically right around where Middlefield meets Veterans Boulevard (next door to the Supercuts).

The entire drive there, Jon kept saying, "I don't like the idea of a lobster place that's not anywhere near the water." "I don't like lobster places in strip malls." Things of that nature. But by the time we finished our meal, he wasn't hating on the place anymore.

After hearing such good things about the lobster roll and the fried clams, I was bummed that neither was available last night. Apparently, they had a very limited amount of lobster due to the storms in the Northeast earlier this week. Since the menu is printed daily, I assume they had the rolls earlier in the day ("out" was handwritten next to several menu items), but they were long gone by dinner time.

I was able to get a lobster cake, however, and that was delicious -- lobster meat, bell peppers, avocado and a panko crust. It was served over a bed of greens that had been lightly drizzled with dressing. I also tried the New England clam "chowdah." I loved the bacon and plethora of potatoes in it.

Jon ordered the fried fish plates, which is basically fish'n'chips. Several filets of Atlantic cod were coated in panko for a course and crunchy crust; and the fries were thin (some more like slices) and crispy.

Another highlight of the OPLS: the beverages! I had a ginger beer, which I had NEVER seen/heard of before. It was clean, crisp and a tad spicy thanks to the ginger. (Jon tells me that if you mix it with rum, you have a cocktail that's called the Dark and Stormy.) Also on the drinks menu is Moxie, a New England thang. Me, I thought it was nasty and tasted like cough syrup. Jon drank the entire bottle, perhaps partly out of nostalgia (he grew up on the East Coast). It couldn't possibly be the taste! Bleh!

Since there was no lobster roll to be had during this visit, I demanded that we return so that I can try them. Priced at $16.75, they had BETTER be awesome.

Old Port Lobster Shack
851 Veterans Boulevard
Redwood City, CA
(650) 366-2400