Thursday, May 18, 2006

What's Cooking: Pizza di Spaghetti

A while back, I saw Giada De Laurentis make Pizza di Spaghetti on her television show and kept thinking that I should try it some time. And that time was last night. It's the perfect meal when you don't feel like putting forth too much effort, and happen to have some leftover spaghetti sitting in the fridge.

Oddly, there are three discrepancies between the recipe that's in the book and the recipe that's on the FoodTV site:

Book = 1/2 cup milk
FoodTV = 1/4 cup milk
(I think the 1/2 cup was fine.)

Book = 1 cup parmesan
FoodTV = 1/2 cup parmesan
(There ain't nothing wrong with a little extra cheese! I also swapped the parmesan for aged provolone.)

Book = 1/2 cup olive oil
FoodTV = 1/4 cup olive oil
(I definitely side with the web site on this one. In the middle of cooking, I had to drain quite a bit of the oil out of the pan because 1/2 cup is WAY TOO MUCH!)

The dish turned out well -- love the extra-crispy edges! -- and I will definitely make it again the next time we have some extra spaghetti. But I have GOT to remember to cut down on that oil!