Friday, June 16, 2006

Japanese Snack Attack

chocpockySo a few weeks ago, I paid my first visit to Mitsuwa -- the gigantic Japanese supermarket located in San Jose. I had lunch there, along with a couple of co-workers, and didn't bother blogging about it because it was an underwhelming meal (tempura udon). But you know what was totally overwhelming in a good way? Mitsuwa's snack/candy aisle! It was quite awesome. And I figured I'd be going back there again and again for my Pocky and Gummy Choco fix.

But that all changed yesterday.

Yesterday, I was introduced to Imahara Fresh Produce, which is actually even more convenient for me to visit. Their selection isn't as extensive as Mitsuwa's, but there's still plenty to choose from. (For those of you who can't get enough macadamia-related snacks, Imahara carries Hawaiian food items as well.)

While Mitsuwa is hard to miss on Saratoga Avenue, Imahara is more obscure -- tucked inside a strip mall next to a JoAnn Fabrics. They don't take credit card, so you'll need cash or a check if you want to satisfy your own Pocky craving (yes, there are several flavors available!).

Mitsuwa
675 Saratoga Avenue
San Jose CA
(408) 255-6699

Imahara Fresh Produce
19725 Stevens Creek Boulevard
Cupertino, CA
(408) 257-5636