Monday, June 05, 2006

Teuscher Chocolates, Palo Alto

truffeJulie wrote to me last week to let me know about the opening of the new Teuscher boutique at Stanford (it's in the old Swatch location, near Tiffany). She raved about the chocolates and the friendly staff, so I had to check it out for myself. I stopped in yesterday and I admit, I was overwhelmed by all the choices. But I finally decided on the champagne truffe (the house specialty), dark chocolate champagne truffe, dark chocolate truffe, 88% chocolate bar and an iced mocha. (They offer a small selection of beverages, some of which are made with their wonderful chocolate. Right now, you order inside, but soon the outside walk-up window will be ready.)

Julie also mentioned that Teuscher's champagne truffes are Oprah's favorite -- and after sampling them, I understand why. The creamy chocolate treats are flown in from Switzerland weekly to ensure their freshness, and they're made with high-quality ingredients (for example, the champagne center actually contains Dom Perignon).

In case you're wondering, chocolate this good does come with a hefty price tag (about $1.85 for a champagne truffe, $5.50 for a chocolate bar). Kids -- if you're allowing them to indulge, too -- will go nuts for the molded chocolates in fun shapes like pigs, butterflies, elephants, airplanes, etc.

(BTW, truffe and truffle are the same thing, different languages. Teuscher prefers the French spelling, so that's what I went with in this post.)

Teuscher
Stanford Shopping Center
Palo Alto, CA
(650) 384-0916