Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Dim Sum Spots

Me. My parents. Christmas Day. We were hungry. But our dining options were limited. We were driving around near my sister's house when we saw a parking lot full a cars -- an indication that SOMETHING was open. It was Loon Wah, a Chinese restaurant that serves both Mandarin- and Hong Kong-style dim sum.

Initially, we were a bit confused, but we eventually worked out that you can get your food two ways: 1) look at the picture menu, write down what you want on the piece of paper supplied to you, hand it to a server, and wait; or 2) ask for items that are coming around on the carts.

My dad and I consumed: scallion pancakes, porridge, fried eggplant, shrimp dumplings, pork buns. My mom polished off a plate of greens of some sort (she's the sole vegetarian in the family). It was all quite tasty.

Prior to the visit to Loon Wah, the last time I enjoyed a good dim sum meal was in Millbrae. My friend Barbara suggested that we meet up at Fook Yuen, a place she frequented with her family when she was growing up in Pacifica. I can't tell you want we ordered because: 1) I don't remember (which is why I need to blog about things -- serves as a record of what I did); and 2) she ordered a lot of the dishes in a language that is foreign to me.

But if you find yourself on El Camino Real in Millbrae one of these mornings, definitely stop in at Fook Yuen. It may not look like much on the outside (there are fancier/bigger dim sum restaurants on that street), but the food is awesome. And you'll want to go early on the weekends; this place gets crazy-crowded.

Loon Wah
1146 S. De Anza Boulevard
Cupertino, CA
(408) 257-8877

Fook Yuen
195 El Camino Real
Millbrae, CA
(650) 692-8600