Thursday, January 12, 2006

House of Falafel, Cupertino

Since our company moved to Cupertino just over a year ago, the Co-Workers and I have engaged in an ongoing search for good lunch spots. There are a few that we already frequent (Pho Hoa, Mandarin Gourmet), and now we seem to have a new one to add to our list of regulars: House of Falafel.

Located in a strip mall along Stevens Creek (across the street from Sears), it's easy to miss this place. There's not much to say about the decor. The place is simple, but clean. Bottles of chile sauce (similar to the Rooster found at Vietnamese restaurants) and tahini sauce line the dozen or so tables inside. The folks behind the counter are extremely friendly, the dishes are served up fairly quickly, portions are large, and the prices are low.

I was going to try the Lamb Shawerma, but then noticed a large plate of meatballs, potatoes, carrots, rice and pita bread, coming out of the kitchen. I was intrigued, and had to have it. So I ordered the Izmir Kefta -- and I didn't regret that decision.

Two of the co-workers ordered the Chicken Shawerma, and one ordered the Chicken Kebab. Those with the shawermas ate theirs all up. The chicken was juicy and flavorful, thanks to being slow-roasted on one of two prominent rotisseries (the other holds lamb). The Chicken Kebab guy proclaimed that the hummus was REALLY GOOD, and he -- like the others -- enjoyed his chicken. (His dish did take a little longer to prepare, because of the grilling of the kebabs.)

Okay, so none of us got any falafels on this outing; but one of my fellow diners -- the one who told the rest of us to give this place a try today -- had actually eaten here before. And he said the falafels are excellent; crunchy yet fluffy, and nicely spiced.

Since my plate of food was so big, I didn't bother ordering any starters (although I do love me some dolmas). But next time, I think I'll grab a piece of baklava to go; it would make the perfect afternoon sweet treat. (I'm craving it right now!)

House of Falafel
19590 Stevens Creek Boulevard
Cupertino, CA
(408) 446-2411