Monday, March 27, 2006

Lulu's on the Alameda, Menlo Park

On my way home the other night, I was looking for a place to pick up dinner and decided to give Lulu's a try. The parking lot was full, and most of the indoor and outdoor tables were taken. So I was glad to see that they have two lines for ordering: for those dining in and those taking their food to go.

Since it was my first time at the Mexican eatery, it took me a little while to decide what to get for Jon and myself. While I was disappointed that there were no fish items on the menu (Jon loves his fish tacos), I was impressed with the overall selection -- which included burritos, tacos, enchiladas, tamales, salads, soups and even specials for kids. (Families appear to make up a big chunk of their clientele.)

I went with a regular-size burrito with grilled steak (about $8), which turned out to be a generous portion. The meat had a nice flavor to it, but was rather dry. And, although the salsa fresca was good, I prefer salsas with a bit more heat to them. (Note to self: Hit up the salsa bar next time.)

For Jon, I ordered a cheese and grilled chicken quesadilla, which he gave positive marks. I also got him a small chopped salad (lettuce, Napa cabbage, corn, chicken, tortilla strips). The freshness of the salad was obvious -- nothing out of a can -- and the cilantro dressing was quite tasty.

Although my dinner selection was not as good as Jon's, I'd make a return visit to Lulu's. Most likely, we'll eat there next time. The platillos looked great, and they offer two of my favorite desserts. If the flan and churros are any good, I may just skip dinner and go straight to dessert.

Lulu's on the Alameda
3539 Alameda de las Pulgas
Menlo Park, CA
(650) 854-8226