Tuesday, March 21, 2006

What's Cooking: Mushroom Risotto with Peas

mushroom risotto with peasOkay, I admit it: Prior to last night's dinner, I had never made risotto from scratch. The Trader Joe's in-a-box variety was good enough -- why would I ever need to do all that extra work myself?

Well, I was flipping through Giada's Everyday Italian and came across her recipe for Mushroom Risotto with Peas. Of all the Food TV chefs, her dishes always seem the most within my culinary reach. So I decided to give it a go. And, although making it took twice as long as I expected, the risotto was delicious -- well worth the time and effort. I loved the slight crunch of the peas in the creamy rice and mushrooms.

No matter how well it turned out, I knew Jon and I couldn't eat six servings in one night. BUT, luckily, the cookbook also includes a couple of recipes for leftover risotto: Arancini di Riso and Risotto al Salto. Yummm.