Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Bacon Love

Since last Friday was a work holiday for me (markets were closed, so our office was), I headed up to San Francisco. I had plans to lunch with a friend of mine who lives in the Mission, and she wisely suggested that we try Maverick.

Although I went with the Fried Oyster Po' Boy, my companion chose the English Cheddar, Apple and Bacon sandwich. Mine was good, but hers was great. So great, that I ran home that night and told Jon we HAD to try making our own for dinner.

We only had pears in the house, and figured they'd be a fine replacement for the apples. Our sandwiches weren't as greasy as Maverick's, so I actually preferred our home rendition. After Jon started grilling them, he realized that we totally should've used the panini press... Oh well. Next time!

(BTW, this is Martha's recipe for a Grilled Cheese with Apples and Bacon.)