Monday, April 17, 2006

Lulu's on the Alameda, Menlo Park: Redux

The other night -- as we waited for the driving range to clear out a bit -- Jon and I decided to give Lulu's another try. Our first visit, a pick-up on my way home, was fine. But we thought maybe the restaurant would be better if we dined in.

I was disappointed the first time around that they didn't have any fish tacos on the menu. But we were in luck: Fish tacos were the daily special the night we popped in last week. So Jon ordered that, and I went for the chicken enchiladas with red sauce.

Let's start with the red sauce. Sounds generic, right? And it tasted generic, too. It was totally bland. The trio of enchiladas were hidden beneath a pile of chopped veggies and sour cream, but there seemed to be too little cheese on the corn tortillas. I could not believe how lacking in flavor my dish was!

After a rather unsatisfying entree, I sought redemption in the form of a churro. Maybe it would be so phenomenal, I wouldn't care how bad my dinner was. But sadly, it was also a let-down. I'm guessing the churro was frozen and simply tossed in the oven for a little warmth. It was neither fresh nor deep-fried. No good in my book.

Although Jon's fish tacos were okay, we agreed that there are plenty of better (and cheaper!) Mexican restaurants just down the street on Woodside Road in Redwood City. I don't expect to eat at Lulu's again because I'm fairly certain a third time would not be a charm.

Lulu's on the Alameda
3539 Alameda de las Pulgas
Menlo Park, CA
(650) 854-8226