Monday, April 03, 2006

Stanford Grill, Stanford

After our visit to the driving range yesterday morning, I was famished. So I convinced Jon to make a stop at the Stanford Grill -- located on the world-renowned Stanford Golf Course.

Since the restaurant caters mainly to golfers and it's got the Stanford name attached to it, I was expecting a schmancy clubhouse-like experience. But not so. This place is one step above a dorm cafeteria in terms of ambiance. When we arrived, the place was fairly empty so we grabbed a table overlooking the putting green. (Orders are taken at the table.)

We noticed that the menu indicated that breakfast is only served until 11am. It was about 11:30 already, but we still had the option of choosing from the either the breakfast or lunch menu. (Maybe with the time change they were being more flexible about the breakfast/lunch thing?)

It worked out well because Jon opted for a breakfast item (fried egg sandwich), while I ordered a lunch dish (mushroom raviolis). Jon's sandwich was really, really good. He replaced the ham with bacon, which is ALWAYS a good move in my book. His meal came with a side of fresh fruit or hash browns and he went with the less healthy of the two (again, I support this decision -- you can't go wrong with fried potato items). The potatoes were nice and crispy. Delicious!

The handmade raviolis were also tasty. They were filled with porcini and topped with slices of crimini, portabello and porcino mushrooms. I was glad that the vermouth and cream reduction sauce wasn't too thick and overwhelming. I would have liked a little more sundried tomato in my bowl, but that's a minor gripe. I still scarfed down the pasta (did I mention that I was famished?).

The prices were reasonable, with our total -- including a drink each -- coming to about $20. On a sunny day, I imagine the patio overlooking the 18th hole would be a fantastic place to hang out and enjoy a good meal. But even on a chilly day, with the clouds warning of even more rain to come, the Stanford Grill was a solid dining choice.

(Note: Although the golf course is private, the Grill, putting green and pro shop are open to the public.)

Stanford Grill
198 Junipero Serra Boulevard
Stanford, CA
(650) 325-4427