Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Downtown Deadwood City

It's been a while since I've written any kind of update on the subject (previous posts are here and here). So this is the latest: Apparently all of the crappy weather has negatively impacted the revitalization efforts in downtown Redwood City. Not that the rain is totally at fault -- since this project was supposed to be completed in Summer 2005 -- and now it looks like they're shooting for a Summer 2006 launch.

The 20-screen movie theater will not be open until after July. BUT, anchor tenant Cost Plus World Markets says it's sticking to its May opening. (So you can stock up on wicker just in time for summer! I'm kidding -- I know Cost Plus has other cool stuff.)

Other occupants of the On Broadway complex are hoping to open their doors in June -- including Chipotle, Escape from NY Pizza, Fatburger, Marble Slab, Tacone, Tandoori's Oven and Beard Papa. (Cream puffs! I want some Beard Papa cream puffs already!)

The city has set up several webcams so you can check out the progress. I'm actually a bit skeptical about this summer opening for the theater, but I hope I'm wrong...