Monday, April 10, 2006

Woodside Bakery and Cafe, Woodside

We were looking for a convenient late-lunch yesterday, so we headed up the hill to the Woodside Bakery and Cafe. Although I have stopped in many times for a pastry or dessert, my previous dining experience here was limited to one dinner. (It was a fine dinner, but not that memorable to be honest. If only I had a food blog back then to record what I ate/thought!)

So anyway... We sat inside yesterday, as we thought the rain was going to come pouring down any minute. (On a sunny day, the patio in the back is a great spot to enjoy an iced beverage and a sweet snack.) There were very few tables left when we were seated, and the bakery side of the space had quite a line of people. The restaurant's cuisine is Italian -- with a good selection of soups, salads, sandwiches, pizzas and pastas to choose from. I went with one of the daily specials: quiche with a cup of mushroom and spinach soup, as well as a side of Caesar salad, for about $11. Not a bad deal.

When the order arrived at the table, I was a little surprised by how small the wedge of quiche was, and how large the salad portion was. I immediately got started on the hot soup, which was awesome -- rich, creamy, chock-full of garlic and bits of mushroom. The quiche was okay (I wanted more crust!), as was the salad.

Jon ordered a sandwich, which was served on yummy housemade foccaccia. And our friend Josh opted for the asparagus soup (which he raved about) and a side of Caesar with grilled chicken.

After lunch, I checked out the cookies, pastries, cakes and pies. I finally decided on a slice of apricot pie, which I warmed up at home later in the evening. I put it in the oven for a few minutes (a microwave would have ruined the crust) and it was delicious.

Between the restaurant and the bakery, I think the latter is the stronger/better offering. Despite a lackluster lunch yesterday, the Woodside Bakery and Cafe still remains one of my favorite Peninsula places for breads and sweets... and now soups.

Woodside Bakery and Cafe
3052 Woodside Road
Woodside, CA
(650) 851-0812